Parent Advisory Committee
The Parent Advisory Committee was established to assist parents through the emotional battle as their child is diagnosed and treated for cancer. Each committee member has experienced one of their children having cancer. They provide input on program design to offer the best possible support as Cool Kids Campaign helps to guide parents through the demanding and difficult journey.
- John Rozema lost his son, Johnny, to Burkits Lymphoma in 2007. John was one of the Foundation inspirations to create the Parent Advisory Committee. Experiencing the loss of a child initiates a certain experience that we hope continues to be beneficial to other families in similar situations. John has a wonderful and supportive family; his wife Holly is one of our best volunteers. The Rozemas have two children, Emily and Luke, and live in Phoenix, MD.
- Sue Lanman works from home as a medical/historical transcriber and as a preschool teacher’s aide. Her son Ben is a survivor of Ewings Sarcoma, diagnosed at age 8. Sue lives in Bel Air, Maryland with her husband, Barry, and their teen children, Olivia and Ben.
- Sue Stuck has four daughters and is active in pediatric cancer awareness since one of her daughters, MacKenzie – one of our first “cool kids” – was diagnosed with malignant brain cancer (Medulloblastoma) in 2005 and passed away in 2010. It is now customary to present The MacKenzie Stuck Award to a deserving recipient during our annual Ken Singleton Celebrity Golf Classic.
- Gregg Gorman lives in Glenwood, Maryland with his wife, Cathy, and their children, Nick and Juliana. Gregg is Chief Financial Officer at Legg Mason Capital Management. The Gormans lost their son, Joe, to Hypodiploid Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia in 2011 – one day after his 15th birthday.
Learning Center Advisory Committee
Our dedicated Cool Kids Learning Center Advisory Board consists of handpicked professionals from the education and hospital industries who understand children’s profiles. They were instrumental in helping us design the best educational and social environment for kids with cancer, which we have ultimately created in our Cool Kids Learning Center.
- Dr. Nancy Grasmick – Retired Maryland State Superintendent of Schools; Towson University Presidential Scholar
- Mary Bohlen, MSSW – Social Worker, Sinai Hospital, Baltimore
- Elizabeth Fairall, MA CCLS – Child Life Specialist, Johns Hopkins University Hospital, Baltimore
- Erin Garner, MSSW – Social Worker, University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore
- Dr. Lisa Jacobson, Ph.D, NCSP – Neuropsychologist, Kennedy Krieger Institute, Baltimore
- Dr. Raymond Lorion, Ph.D – Dean of Education, Towson University
- Dr. Kathy Ruble, Ph.D – Director of Survivorship, Johns Hopkins University Hospital
- Sarah Spross – Maryland State Department of Education