It was Kyra’s idea!
This club originated as an idea of a local teen cancer patient, Kyra M, from Forest Hill, MD. Kyra attends Bel Air High School but has had to withdraw in her junior year because treatments have caused her to miss too much school. Part of Kyra’s frustration is missing out on the normal social interactions with her peers.
How can you join the Teens.CanSur.vive Club?
The club is open to teens ages 13-19 and meets on average once a month at the Cool Kids Learning Center in Towson, MD. Frequency of meetings depends on what events they are planning or attending. The club is driven primarily through Facebook. Interested teens should join the Facebook Group (managed by Kyra) or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive current announcements.
Teens.CanSur.vive enjoyed a Baltimore Orioles game in August 2013, courtesy of Legg Mason, including the ‘suite’ life and all of its amenities.
Baltimore Color Run
The Teen Club volunteered with the Cool Kids Campaign at the first Baltimore Color Run in May 2013. Pediatric oncology patients, their families, and survivors staffed the YELLOW color station. Read more about this colorful event and how to sign up for the November 2013 Color Run.
Teen Club Event Photos
All photos are on facebook, however, no log-in is required.
- 2013 American Girl Doll Fashion Show: teens volunteered during show weekend in March 2013 (event overview)
- 2012 Holiday Party< (Scroll to the bottom of the album for teen club pictures) – December 2012/li>
- Ravens Game Party – September 2012
- Houses of Hope / Start of Summer Picnic – July 2012 (Scroll to the bottom of the album for teen club pictures)
- Gingerbead House Decorating - December 2011
- Halloween Party - October 2011
- Legg Mason Suite at Oriole Park - June 2011
- Kickoff Meeting at Towson Marriott - April 2011
Your good ideas needed!
If you have an opportunity or idea in which you think our Teen Club could participate, please pass it along to Sharon here!