The key idea is that tutoring takes place on the family’s schedule (by appointment), in an effort to eliminate the fear that a hospital visit will mean missed lessons. Tutoring, like all our programs, is 100% free for families and focuses on the long term cognitive issues related to cancer and its treatments.
How does our Academic Tutoring work?
- Complete our online form.
- A Cool Kids Campaign staff member will contact you to learn how we can best serve you, such as asking about which subjects your child needs help with, and answering your questions. Through our volunteer database, we will find the best match for your child or young adult.
- A face-to-face meeting is scheduled that allows you to tour the Cool Kids Learning Center, meet our staff, and most importantly, meet the volunteer tutor(s) who will be working with your child. This is your opportunity to let the tutor(s) know of any special considerations or concerns you might have before starting. You’ll leave this meeting with the first tutoring session on your calendar!
- We will also provide you with a liability release waiver and code of conduct to review. Please bring the signed copies with you to the first tutoring session. Tutoring sessions are scheduled as needed.
- If you live out of the Baltimore area: The Internet allows us to tutor your child using SKYPE. Email Sharon Perfetti, our Executive Director, if you would like to set up this free tutoring situation. You will need a SKYPE account, which is a free video format over the Internet.